What We Do
OPD administers state-funded programs in the following areas:
- Manage contracts with appellate attorneys representing indigent appellants where federal and state constitutions and state statutes guarantee the right to counsel, pursuant to RCW 2.70.005and RAP 15.5
- Manage contracts with attorneys and public defender agencies representing parents in dependency and termination cases in select counties, pursuant to RCW 13.34.090and RCW 13.34.092
- Manage and distribute funds to county and city defense systems for the improvement of trial court criminal indigent defense, pursuant to RCW 10.101.050
- Manage contracts with attorneys who represent indigent respondents in civil commitment actions under Chapter 71.09 RCW
- Audit and prioritize county reimbursement requests for costs incurred in aggravated murder cases, pursuant to RCW 43.330.190
- Recommend criteria and standards for OPD funded public defense services.
- Provide oversight of the performance of all OPD contractors.
OPD cannot provide direct representation of clients, pursuant to RCW 2.70.020.
More agency information: