Parents Representation Program

Frequently Asked Questions: Parents Representation Program  

How do I provide feedback? 

Please mail or email your comments to:

Washington State Office of Public Defense
Parents Representation Program Management Team
P.O. Box 40957
Olympia, WA  98504-0957

Or, by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Who can provide feedback?

Comments may be received from any party (clients, judges, other attorneys, court staff, non-program social workers, other OPD contract attorneys or contract social workers ) that work with the Parents Representation Program. 

The pdficon grsmall Complaint Form requires release of information and should only be filed by the client.    

What is the process?

Most complaints are handled informally and are initiated by phone call or email.  More serious issues may be handled in writing using the pdficon grsmall Complaint Form.

What is the purpose of filing a complaint?

The purpose of the complaint process is two fold: 1) To assist in solving problems between one of the OPD contract attorneys and his or her client.  2) To help OPD evaluate ways to improve the Parents Representation Program.   

Will my attorney know that I filed a complaint?  

Yes.  We will need to speak with your attorney regarding your complaint to see if we can resolve the situation.  We will need to provide the attorney with a copy of the complaint form so your attorney will be able to understand your concerns. 

Why can't a complaint be anonymous?

Complaints that do not include the name of the person and circumstances involved are difficult to resolve.  The complaint process requires an informed consent and authorization for release of your protected information. 

What do I need to know if I am thinking about submitting a complaint?

Because OPD is a state agency, someone may request confidential information given to us by you or your attorney.  We will take all reasonable steps to protect your private information.

What if I want a new attorney?

Only the court can change your attorney.  You do not have the right to an appointed attorney of choice.  If you want a new attorney assigned, you need to follow your county's procedure for this, which may involve asking the court in writing.  Check with your attorney or clerk's office for guidance on the procedure.

How do I fill out the form?

The forms are provided in pdf format.  In order to view, fill out, save and print PDF forms, you will need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader, which you may download for free from the Adobe website.The hyperlink will exit the OPD website.  There are two ways to complete the form:

1) Print the form, fill out the form, and return it to OPD via U.S. Mail or scan and email as an attachment;

2) Fill in the form online, print, sign, and return to OPD via U.S. Mail or scan and email as an attachment;



Access Washington, Official State Government Website

 Privacy | Whistleblower | Contact Us

© Copyright 2023  Washington State Office of Public Defense