Parents Representation Program

Getting Started

To access the OPD Parents Representation Program:

  • You must be an indigent parent, custodian, or legal guardian involved in a child dependency and termination of parental rights proceeding.
  • If counsel is not automatically assigned, ask the court how to request an attorney.

The counsel appointed to your case will be an OPD Parents Representation Program contract attorney.

Your Responsibilities

  • Talk to your attorney 
    • Make an appointment to meet with your attorney in person.
    • Let your attorney know what you want. 
    • Provide your attorney with your contact information and let them know if it changes.
    • Check in frequently.
    • Ask your attorney what you can do to get the information the attorney needs to help you with your case.
  • Services
    • Talk to your attorney about your court ordered services.
    • Participate in any court ordered services as soon as possible.
  •  Hearings
    • Have a discussion with your attorney about any upcoming hearing prior to the hearing.
    • Make sure you attend the hearings.
    • If you are unable to attend a hearing for any reason, contact your attorney.
  • Visitation
    • Ask your attorney to explain to you how to have successful visits with your child.
    • Make sure you attend the visits.
  • Case Timeline


Access Washington, Official State Government Website

 Privacy | Whistleblower | Contact Us

© Copyright 2022  Washington State Office of Public Defense